Thursday, February 13, 2014

corn optional

At dinner, Herm and I pondered what edible dish best describes us, our personalities.

Herm: I dunno, never really thought about it.


And then we kept eating. Married life is thrilling.
I think this is better than watching the Avengers (or Psych, but most definitely HIMYM) with our mouths full, so I pressed for an answer.

He thinks he is Shepherds Pie. When asked why, "It's easy? ...Easy to take in, everyone recognizes it. Not everyone can make it, but it's fundamental. Meat and potatoes." Herm is easy to like, predictable but adaptable. Soft?

Herm: or an omelette!
me: why?
Herm: ......I dunno. I don't know what meat to throw in there.

Not a relevant answer. Not an answer to anything, actually. But those dishes he identified with happen to be his favourites. Does he like them because they fit with who he is?

After this I could only think of pho for me. The soup looks boring, but it took time to become what it is; you can't tell a flavour profile just by looking. Then you throw cold, crunchy, fresh things into the hot soup, random bursts of spice and sweetness - a study of contrast.

Sounds cool, but I think we are all contradictory beings.

What food do you think you are, and why? It doesn't have to be cooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment