It was a chocolate chip shortbread with a neat line of peanut butter in the middle. Not something I'd eaten or seen before. When I woke up, I wanted to eat it forreal. So I found some blueprints and made it happen.
Cookie based on Crisp Toffee Chocolate Bars, from Mad Hungry by Lucinda Quinn.
- 1/2c unsalted butter, soft
- 1/2c light brown sugar
- 1/2tsp salt
- 1/2tsp vanilla
- 1c + 2tbsp all purpose flour
- barely 1/2c (maybe not even 1/3c) chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350ºF.
Line a 8x8 square pan with foil or parchment. Have the liners overhang, so they become handles for when you take the bars out.
In a bowl, mix together soft butter, brown sugar, salt, and vanilla. Sift in the flour; add chocolate chips. Mix until combined. Split into two halves (you can just draw a line in your bowl)
Mix filling. Don't bother being precise. Plain pb works, but rips dough.
- 1/4c peanut butter
- 1tbsp icing sugar
- pinch salt
- vanilla
Spread half of cookie mixture into pan, compacting it. Make sure it's in all the corners. Spread filling on top. I like to scatter multiple dollops of that on the cookie and then "connect the blobs". That way you minimize tear. I sprinkled a tiny bit more salt on the peanut butter.
Crumble remaining half of cookie mixture on top of filling, making sure you cover everything. Or not. I packed it cause I wanted a neat "sandwich" look, but I suspect you can make it crumb-bar like too, just by not pressing it down.
Bake for about 20 minutes, rotating halfway, until golden and set. Cut into pieces while still warm in pan. Make coffeeeeeee.
No comments:
Post a Comment